Police: West Potomac baseball players investigated for alleged hazing, sexual abuse

The Fairfax County Police confirmed Tuesday that the criminal investigation into players on the West Potomac baseball team involves allegations of hazing and sexual abuse.

No charges have been filed in the case, which is still being investigated by detectives and the Fairfax County Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney, according to FCPD spokeswoman Reem Awad.

FOX5 interviewed Fairfax County Police Chief Edwin Roessler on Tuesday about the investigation, and he said a number of questions still needed to be sorted out before the investigation is completed.

“It’s ongoing right now and I can tell you we have a lot more work to do to determine whether or not these allegations are true,” Roessler told FOX5. “If they are true, how long ago did they happen? Is there a statute of limitation issue? And our goal is to bring justice to the victims if there are indeed victims.” 

This is the first time that officials have confirmed that the allegations against the players, which West Potomac Principal Tangy Millard first notified parents of on March 10,  specifically involved hazing and sexual abuse. FOX5 was able to obtain emails that detailed some of the allegations against the players, including alleged urination on a player who was pushed into a locker.

Meanwhile, the Fairfax County Public Schools’ investigation into player misconduct has concluded, FCPS spokesman John Torre said Tuesday. Disciplinary measures have been taken against an unspecified number of West Potomac students, but Torre said FCPS cannot legally provide more information about the specifics of those actions.

FOX5 reported that three players were subject to disciplinary action.

“Following the school’s investigation, disciplinary actions were taken and the matter is resolved,” Torre said. “By law, student discipline records are confidential. If any new information should emerge, FCPS will investigate as appropriate.”

It is not clear if any of the suspended players have returned to the team. 

A source with knowledge of the investigation confirmed Wednesday that an assistant coach on the team stepped down when the school began its investigation into the allegations; an attempt to contact him for more information was unsuccessful.

This story was updated on Wednesday based on new information provided to CoveringTheCorridor.com.