Child rescued during Telegraph Road fire

Ladder from truck going to house
(Fairfax Fire and Rescue image)

Firefighters rescued an 11-year-old child from a house fire on Telegraph Road early Saturday morning, according to a tweet sent by the Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department.

The boy was behind a bedroom door calling for help in the 6300 block of Telegraph Road when discovered by firefighters from Truck 411, which is out of the Penn Daw fire station. The firefighters carried the boy from the house and he did not suffer any injuries, the fire department said.

There were other people inside the house at the time of the fire, but a fire department spokeswoman said Sunday that specific details beyond the information in the fire department’s tweet would not be available until the fire marshal’s office released a report on the blaze.

Firefighters responded to the fire around 1:30 a.m., according to the tweet. Upon arriving firefighters noticed fire on the first floor.

The cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking materials, according to the fire department.D