Two adults were displaced, but nobody was injured after a large fire severely damaged a house in the Vantage neighborhood Monday night.
Firefighters responded to the one-story home, located at 6911 Vantage Drive (see map), shortly before 9 p.m., according to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. Flames were visible on the roofline and the main level when the fire department arrived, and firefighters quickly found the fire in the attic and extinguished it, according to a fire department press release.
Two people inside the house had already escaped by the time firefighters arrived. The home did have smoke alarms, but the fire department said they did not go off until after the fire was discovered by the occupants.
Investigators determined the fire was caused by faulty wiring in the attic that led to a bedroom ceiling light.
The residents declined Red Cross assistance.
Damage was estimated to be $206,038, according to the fire department.