Belle View condo fire caused by malfunctioning fan

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

A two-alarm fire on Monday in the Belle View area was caused by an electrical malfunction in an attic fan, according to the Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department.

The fire, which broke out around 1 p.m. in the Belle View Condominiums complex the 1800 block of Belle View Boulevard,  displaced five residents and two pets, according to the fire department. The residents declined Red Cross assistance.

Images from the blaze showed flames coming out of the roof of the three-floor garden apartment building after firefighters arrived. Units from both Fairfax County and the City of Alexandria responded, and the second alarm was called in “due to challenging conditions caused by the large amount of fire and layout of the building,” the fire department said.

No residents or firefighters were injured.

All of the six condo units in the building were equipped with working smoke alarms, but they did not sound due to the location of the fire, according to the fire department. 

Damage from the blaze was estimated to be $70,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.