Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish an electrical fire at the Beacon Hill Apartments on Monday afternoon.
Units were called to the building at 6501 Tower Drive (see map) around 1:40 p.m. after a report of smoke in one of the apartments. Smoke was visible from the third-floor unit and the roofline upon arrival, and a second alarm was called in.
The fire was located and quickly put out before it could spread beyond the apartment, according to Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department spokeswoman Ashley Hildebrandt. Units from the Penn Daw station were the initial responders, and firefighters from the Mount Vernon station, the Greater Springfield Volunteer Fire Department, and City of Alexandria were among others called to the scene.
The fire was ruled accidental in nature, and was caused by a malfunctioning wall switch.
Nobody was injured in the fire, but three residents were displaced. The residents were offered Red Cross assistance, but declined, according to Hildebrandt.
Damage to the apartment was estimated to be around $25,000.