WMATA announced Monday that the Huntington Metro station will be closed this Saturday and Sunday for inspections and repair work.
Additionally, there will also be track work done at the station during the week that could cause some minor delays, the agency also announced Monday.
For the weekend, the Huntington, Eisenhower Avenue and King Street stations will all be closed, with Yellow Line trains not running at all either day. Stations north of King Street on the Yellow Line will be open for open for Blue and Green Line trains.
According to WMATA, the Yellow Line shutdown is need so that the Yellow Line bridge over the Potomac River can be inspected and for exhaust fan inspection at stations, as well as for the replacement of switch fasteners and studs.
Free shuttle buses will operate between the Huntington, Eisenhower Avenue and King Street stations. WMATA recommends allowing 15 minutes of travel time for each stop.
Other lines will also be affected by inspections and other work this weekend:
- Trains will be running every 15 minutes on the Green Line, with single tracking between Southern Avenue and Naylor Road.
- The Blue Line will run at normal intervals, with single tracking between Addison Road and Morgan Boulevard.
- The Red Line will operate every 28 minutes, with single tracking between Farragut North and Union Station.
- The Silver Line is operating at regular intervals, although Metro recommends that riders traveling to/from Benning Road, Capitol Heights, Addison Road, Morgan Boulvard and Largo Town Center use Blue Line trains.
The Orange Line is unaffected and will operate at a normal weekend schedule.
Weekday single tracking
WMATA is also warning Yellow Line riders to expect periods single tracking on weekdays for the next two weeks, but only at Huntington station itself. The agency says delays “are expected to be minor.”
The closure of one side of the platform is for switch fastener and stud renewal, according to WMATA.
The following time periods will be affected:
- Monday through Thursday, from 10 p.m. until closing. (Trains every 12-15 minutes)
- Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Trains every 20-25 minutes)