Thanksgiving morning fire displaces six in Woodlawn area

Fire from window

Fire is seen coming from a window at 8422 Osman Drive on Thanksgiving morning. (Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department image)

A fire on Thanksgiving morning displaced two adults and four children in the Woodlawn area.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue was called to the 8400 block of Osman Drive around 7:20 a.m. on Thursday after one of the people in the house smelled smoke. The fire was visible in the back of the single-family house when firefighters arrived, and the blaze was quickly extinguished, according to a fire department press release.

All residents were able to safely evacuate the house, which did have working smoke alarms, according to the fire department.

The home suffered significant smoke damage, according to the release, and the occupants did ask for Red Cross assistance. 

Invesigators said the fire was accidental, and started in the kitchen after an “electrical event” occurred in an outlet junction box behind the oven.

Damage to the house is estimated to be $93,750.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.